Friday, March 31, 2017

A collection on which I'll pass

kw: book reviews, short stories, collections, contemporary life

Some wild card choices just don't stack up to others. I won't name the book or the author, who gets enough publicity without my help. Supposedly award winning and all that. There's a lotta awards out there!

The title page blurb said, "One of the most satisfying cover-to-cover short story collections…" I guess some folks are easily satisfied.

Story one got very seamy very quickly, so I jumped to the last paragraph to see if anybody grew or even learned anything useful. Nope. Another story of clueless people who stay clueless.

Story two circles in on itself. A guy fooling himself, and it's a habit he's apparently won't break.

Story three, the narrator, someone with few values and no stomach to stand for those few, is left about where the story started, but perhaps even slower on the uptake.

OK, that's enough. I have better ways to spend my time.

No comments: