Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Adding to the economy

kw: family events, home maintenance

"Work fascinates me. I can watch it all day long." I don't know who said that, but I spent all day watching work today. We had our garage doors replaced. The ones we've had were made primarily of 3/8" (9mm) plywood with framing to hold the mountings. There's a point where one more paint job just makes them look worse, and we wanted more insulation.

I confess I hadn't given a thought to how it is done. The three workers dismantled the doors piece by piece, by unbolting all the hardware. Then they took down the rails. The longest part of the job was getting the new rails mounted and lined up. Once that was done, the new doors were put together into the rails, section by section, and the hardware holds the sections together. Altogether, about five hours of work.

No comments: