Monday, October 10, 2011

Still rattled

kw: family events, deaths

I just got back from a week away, with my father, keeping watch with him while his second wife lay dying. She was only a few years older than I am, but was felled by squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder, which is quite rare, but is the second- or third-most aggressive cancer.

She first fell ill early this year, had surgery and chemotherapy, but just a few weeks ago a recurrence was discovered, already inoperable, plus "spots" in the lungs and elsewhere. She died this morning.

My first concern was my Dad, who lost his first wife, my mother, less than ten years ago, also to cancer. Now that he is in his late 80s, it is quite devastating to him. Various family members are kind of on rotation, taking care of him while he settles back down. That's really all I can say for now.

No comments: