Thursday, November 18, 2010

Healthier than the average horse

kw: local events, medical tests

Once every two years my wife and I take a set of the "Life Line Screening" tests. Our doctor recommends them as an adjunct to the tests he prescribes yearly. Today I took the morning off, and we went. In spite of the fact that I had a serious bout with cancer ten years ago, I am in very good health. The rundown:
  1. Mini-EKG for atrial fibrillation: Negative. My heart is as steady as sunrise.
  2. Bone density scan of the heel bone: Almost too dense for the machine to get a reading. Translated, that means I have no trace of osteoporosis.
  3. Arm and leg cuff test for peripheral artery disease: All negative, no trace of problem.
  4. Ultrasound of carotid arteries: No trace of plaque, so negligible risk of stroke.
In the past I've also had abdominal ultrasound to check for an aortic aneurysm, but the past negative tests meant there was no need to do one this time.

Considering that my father is 88 and going strong, I suppose I need to prepare for living until about 90. No sense in retiring too soon and going broke in old age.

No comments: