Monday, December 14, 2009

H2 reduce the pressure

kw: medicine, observations

My doctor tells me my blood pressure is too high. I've learned this much: when I am taking sufficient Omega-3 supplementation (three or four of a double-strength fish oil) and getting enough exercise, it tends to come in at about 130/80. When I don't, it is more like 150/90.

For years, the standard was that 140/80 was borderline high, but now "they" have a new standard of 120/70. It is my contention that this is a scam. My 105-lb (48 kg) wife's blood pressure is usually about 115/70, but I suspect it is nearly impossible for a man weighing more than 180 pounds (~80 kg) to get anywhere near the "standard" without medication. Blood pressure medications are selling for many billions yearly.

Nonetheless, I am under some pressure to consider medication, so I began to gather data. A quick check of a blood pressure drug list compiled in 2006 is, frankly, horrifying:
  • 55 single-component drugs and 16 mixtures (and the list states that, in the case of the diuretics at least, it is "partial").
  • 22 of the 55 are generic, so even twenty years ago there were at least two dozen drugs! Breaking things down a bit,
  • 6 of 11 Diuretics are generic.
  • 15 of 24 Adrenal Inhibitors are generic.
  • 1 of 20 Calcium Antagonists is generic. These are the newest class.
I plan to next check into side effects and reported effectiveness of a sampling from each category, before I let my doctor make any recommendations. I am pretty sure that he doesn't even know there are 71+ choices out there, so I need solid info from the get-go. It takes a good BS detector to cut through the haze of drug company representatives' influence in an office that has at least one rep-supplied poster on every wall of every room. And my doctor is one of those with the fewest "trinkets" from these guys!

I am gradually training him to understand that I am not a "patient", a passive consumer of medical services. I am a customer, and he is a consultant, and I expect an active role in medical decisions. That means I need to know a lot. That's OK; learning is what I do best. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Steve MyHS said...

If the blood pressure readings you quote are taken at your doctor's office, you may find that your actual readings are lower. Have you ever done home monitoring or ambulatory monitoring to get a more accurate picture of what your blood pressure is actually is.

I weigh ~95kg and my blood pressure averages 110/70. However I am on blood pressure medication ... which probably helps to prove your point :-)

I have never had side effects from blood pressure medication, but my parents who are both on medication for high blood pressure have had side effects such as coughing and even skin rashes.

Steve
My Blood Pressure Software