Friday, October 16, 2009

An artful highlight to a poor day

kw: art, photographs

As I noted yesterday, Monday was the occasion of a very invasive, uncomfortable medical test. There was a bright spot to the day, however. The doctor's waiting room wall sports a large example of United Plates of America, a depiction of the map of the U.S. states using pieces cut from license plates from all fifty states. The artist is Alan Holcombe. He has a series of these he makes upon order, plus he'll make a single-state collage also.

I have been seeing this doctor for about a year, and this visit I remembered my camera. I am rather glad I was able to take this image without flash: handheld at 1/30 sec.

Others use license plates for similar artwork. This is a menu palette from Georgia's Crafts. I wonder who first produced a license plate collage in map format?

When I see certain works of art, I find myself wishing we had words for "more unique" and "most unique", but "unique" is a superlative all by itself! Originating in the Latin epithet for a one-horse town, it refers to something that stands alone. Whatever level of uniqueness this collage may possess, it lifted my spirits on a day I'd otherwise prefer to forget.

No comments: