Sunday, September 27, 2009

Neighborhood Art

kw: photographs, folk art

I saw this house in passing, and got permission from the owner/artist to take photographs. He said he had a lot more inside, but didn't invite me in. He was just leaving. That made it easier to get this photo, as his vehicle wasn't in the driveway.

The young man decries the "poor" art scene in the area. That's funny, as I make it a point to view new work at a couple nearby galleries, and he lives not two miles from Arden, Delaware, a well-known art colony. Then again, just as I don't consider Rap to be music, he must not consider a lot of displayed material to be art. I declined to mention my own penchant for making mobiles.

This is my favorite of the pieces he displays outside.

Art made from found objects is one of the larger subgenres; a quick Google search for "found object" nets a third of a million hits, although +"found object" +sculpture (the pluses force both search strings to be present) yields less than 100,000.

No comments: