Friday, September 04, 2009

Are dogs worth more than people?

kw: observations, forgiveness

I am not much of a sports fan, but I made a point of watching some of yesterday's Eagles game. I live near Philadelphia, so they are "my" team. They are also the target of lots of ill will because they hired Michael Vick.

I won't beat around the bush. I've forgiven Mike Vick. A lot of people haven't. It doesn't matter much to them that, from his arrest to the day he was released from prison, more two years had been cut out of his life. Just a few days ago some people from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) "met" with Eagles representatives, protesting Mike being put on the field. If it were up to them, he'd never play ball again.

So I watched him play. He's lost a little timing and speed, being away for two years, but he clearly has plenty of talent left. This really is what he does best.

It is not just for the two year penalty that I forgive him. His behavior makes it clear that his attitude has changed. He has grown. A new attitude is what it is all about. For that, he deserves forgiveness.

In the light of that, I must conclude that those who wish more, more, and more unending punishment for Mike Vick, simply have shown that they are more evil than he was.

No comments: