Wednesday, April 08, 2009

ONT Airport Art

kw: travel, art, airports

I travel infrequently, so there is nearly always new art on display in the airports I use. I try to photograph most or all that I see, because it's the only chance of a lifetime. These days, the only way to get into the exhibit is by having a boarding pass!



The murals at the Ontario Airport in California are an exception. They are part of the structure. This one is at the east end of Terminal 2 (Although I was careful to photograph it straight on, I can see that there is still a bit of keystoning). It shows a view I haven't seen in the Ontario-Riverside area since the 1970s. The orange groves (and vineyards) are all gone, either abandoned or built over.


Other artwork is displayed in cases along hallways between gate sections, such as this fashion art. Most of the display is hats and handbags, but this case of necklaces was the most interesting to me. I like bead work and stone work. These cases were in the western hallway. The eastern hallway is currently blocked off, but usually also has artwork on display.

I like the Ontario airport. It is roomy and usually uncrowded, and is far enough from the built-up parts of LA and Orange counties to be easy to get to, even near rush hour. It is one of the few airports that you can still go to half an hour before flight time and be pretty sure you'll make your plane. I still go 1½ to 2 hours early anyway. It gives me time for photography and a call home before I leave.

On this trip, because my incoming flight had been canceled, and I landed at the John Wayne airport in Orange Country, I found that it is almost as easy to use and is just ten minutes from Anaheim. I guess, since my Dad has moved out of state, I no longer need to fly into Ontario, which is the best for getting to Arcadia and Pasadena. I'll probably be seeing more of JW airport, since I do have an occasional reason to go to Anaheim.

No comments: