Sunday, March 01, 2009

March 1 noreaster begins

kw: local events, weather

When we first moved to the East Coast more than thirteen years ago, our first January experience was having a "noreaster" drop two feet of snow on us. I remember shoveling eight inches three times. That was one day that work was canceled, but I'd rather have worked!

About 7pm this evening, all along the mid-Atlantic area, a "noreaster" got rolling and the snow began falling. We've been told to expect up to eight inches total in this area, a few miles north of I-95. By 9pm I decided to chronicle things a bit, and went out to take a few pix by the light of the streetlights. I used a tripod and panned all around. Three of these were put together into the 180° panorama below (click on it for a bigger version).



I'll take another set in the morning. The storm is supposed to end before daybreak. Using the ISO 800 setting, I shot these at f/5.6 for five seconds each, using the 18mm extreme of my zoom lens.

I must say, I sure like Microsoft's Windows Live Photo Gallery. I've been wanting a simple panorama-making program for some time. I've tried to download the "stitcher" program that Canon distributes with its cameras, but couldn't get one that worked on my machine. WLPG has a good kernel, that figured out the three images I gave it and produced a good panorama. I have three more, for a full 360° panorama, but I haven't tried to throw all that at the program yet (I wonder what it does with the wrap-around). Later.

Now we'll see what the morning brings.

No comments: