Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Just what I needed

kw: observations, seasons

Daffodils are rather foolish. Mine have been several inches out of the ground for nearly a month, and I suspect some of them got nipped in this week's cold snap. Wiser crocuses have yet to show even the tip of a flower bud. When winter is milder, sometimes the Forsythia blooms before March 1, but its buds are not showing any signs of cracking open either, but they are getting swollen and ready.

The birds are also gearing up for Spring, being attuned to the length of the day, and less troubled by a brief chill. This morning at sunrise when I went out to get the paper, I heard plenty of birdsong. I don't know many birds' songs, but I did recognize the chickadee. I could hear five or more other songs but didn't see the singers. I did see sparrows and robins. Of course there are flocks of starlings shuttling here and there, but they squawk more than sing.

There was no wind, even no breeze, just a calm chill. Standing still, listening to the birds heartened me.

No comments: