Thursday, January 22, 2009

Getting used to being two again

kw: musings, empty nest

Every parent goes through it. It is gentler for us than some, because during the college years the youngster doesn't really move out, but just stays away for a few weeks at a time. Our son is just two hours away, and has a car with him, so he can get here at will. Compared to my first two years of college, he visits more than I did. Of course, I didn't have wheels, so a parent had to come for me, but I was just one hour away.

As I recall, my Freshman year I visited home at Thanksgiving, over Christmas break, and for Spring break, until Summer. Then I went back for Summer session. Our son has been home at least monthly from the start. My Sophomore year I was home about the same amount, but that summer we all moved to the West Coast.

Being here without him day-to-day, for 3-4 weeks at a time, we get used to different routines, so that it's a bit of a disruption when he is at home for a day or two. Amazing. It is actually encouraging: whenever he does move out permanently, it won't be too hard to adjust. We had twelve years of being a "single couple" before he was born, and it isn't too hard to remember how to live that way again. One step at a time…

No comments: