Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Where is Demosthenes when we need him?

kw: opinion, politics, campaigns

As Demosthenes went about with a lantern, seeking the honest man who wouldn't shy from the light, I think I embody a common attitude among the voting public. I care little for what promises a candidate might make, I care instead for personal and public integrity.

Just a week ago, there was a primary election in Delaware. I watched the run-up campaign closely, because three Republicans were vying for the chance to unseat Tom Carper in the Senate.

I have met Mr. Carper a few times, beginning when I sat next to him in a PTA meeting more than ten years ago; the Governor and I had sons in the same grade, who mostly went to the same schools. Six years ago, at a soccer game (the boys were on opposing teams that year), right after the primary election, I said to him, "Run a good race, Governor." Sad to say, he didn't.

Oh, he ran a very effective campaign, but it was far from good. Plain fact, it was evil. I heard very little of what Tom Carper would to, and very much about how bad Bill Roth had been. While it was plain at the debate that Bill Roth's day was over, I was wholly disgusted by his opponent. In the election, I voted for a third candidate.

In this primary campaign, I heard quite a bit about how bad this or that person was, but only Jan Ting refrained from attack ads (so far as I could find). I was gratified when he won. So now he is running against Tom Carper for Senate.

I won't copy here what I wrote to Mr. Ting. I told him he got my vote primarily for integrity and keeping to the high road. I warned him to beware of Mr. Carper's attempts to get him onto his own ground; he is a dangerous campaigner.

I don't hold out much hope for Jan Ting in November, but I sure hope he wins.

No comments: